Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Voices


This has been a wonderful week… hectic but rewarding in so many ways. I had all kinds of ideas for this week's topic and had planned to have it done over the weekend… but plans change… and change… and… you guessed it… change… and so did the idea I had for the illustration… and so, I opened the sketch book and started… and this morning I had it all figured out… but things change… and while the idea is still there… the rest has been lost with the hustle and bustle of the day… the illo gives voice to our most treasured loved ones… the ones who must endure what we believe is right as parents… and while we have the benefit of hindsight… we do often close our ears and minds to the voices of our children… often with terrible consequences…

This thought recurred over and over this weekend… and culminated in the movie I watched last night sitting next to one of those I most cherish in this world…

13 comments:

joseph's art and stuff said...

Excellent post and illustration, Happy Holidays

ArtSparker said...

Intriguing illustration, I sometimes feel my parents' voices are at war within me. Okay, so what was the movie? The Golden Compass was a good film, too bad they aren't making the rest of the series.

Bella Sinclair said...

Wow, that's a powerful portrait. And your words are full of wisdom. You are right. In the midst of all the constant change, I often forget to listen to what my children have to say. I need to relax and open my ears.

I hope you and your family have the very BEST of the holiday season!

L. A. Stern said...

very eye catching :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...change, the only thing in life that proves constant, minute by minute...! Beautiful sentiment from a wise artist! Happy Holidays!

isay said...

great post and really intriguing illustration---one of the eyes is popping out like it was trying to reach out for the small ear.....

I hope you are having a great time with your family. Happy Holidays and cheers for the coming 2009!

yoon see said...

Thanks for sharing your own set of voices. The illustration is so original and stands out so well with this week topic.
Merry Christmas friend:)

Anonymous said...

Such a thought-provoking post and a really captivating illo! There's much to think about... Have a happy holiday!

Michael G. O’Connell said...

The movie was Dan in Real Life. ANd as an aside, I have been posting to Illustration Friday for three years now and way back when I started there was a whole different group of friends I participated with, some are still with IF some have moved on to other things. The illustration I drew this week takess a lot of inspiration from one of those old friends who has moved on… her name is roz foster… her style has changed a lot since then… but you see her work in some of the Illustration Friday archives in the form of the thumbnail… when some people change… they really change…

Anonymous said...

i used to have a cat whose eyes don't match. one is green and the other one amber. this illo reminded me of her.

okay, am gonna stop this sending messages online and get busy with the hot choco my mom's serving for our midnight christmas dinner.

MERRY CHRISTMAS from this side of the pacific. :-)

Dana S. Whitney said...

Listening AND replying are important for parents to do well. The wretched job by parents did helped me learn to do it much better. Best wishes.

Sarall said...

Very intriguing...

Tomás Serrano said...

I like it. How much the face change if you look one half after the other.