Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pale


So… buried again! And the year started out so well! That'll teach me to brag! I had hoped to have more time this week and had started working on this illustration not long after the topic came up but I am STILL slammed at work. Someday Alice, POW, right in the kisser! Oh well, on to the illo!

Our world is a bit sick. He's looking a little pale, isn't he? I do believe most of our ills to be of the imaginary ilk. Not that there aren't way too many people suffering… au contraire! We have far too many real problems – lack of decent work, food and above all, adequate education. We invest far too little in our little people. No, the imaginary part comes because we have way too many reactionary idiots controlling the world's fiscal health. Who didn't think that oil prices were unjustly inflated? The Saudis told us that our own greed was driving up the prices. Or that food was way over priced before the CRASH. How stupid is it that when a wrongly spoken word by just the right person can send our entire economy skidding. And then, just because we took ourselves for a ride so do the Asians and Europeans. Or vice versa.

We live in a world of lemmings. People are dying to jump off the cliff with everyone else. So far, it looks like our new President may just be the doctor that we need and bring some change to our country, if not the whole world. Believe me, I do think Rodney King was a thug, but his words do ring true "Please, we can get along here. We all can get along." And all we need to do is use the brains that God gave us. We need to slow down a bit and try to not be so reactionary and afraid.

13 comments:

Rui Sousa said...

Hello It´s with enormous pleasure that I invite you to visit my new and fresh blog at:

www.ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com

Regards and be happy!
Thank you!


ps: leave a comment! :)

theartofpuro said...

I agree with you about our world

Great illo and style

ArtSparker said...

Man, are you a good person to be a Dad.

I was thinking about Rodney King just recently, I remember I was living in Chicago during the first trial, in which the officers were found not guilty, and felt like I should apologize to every black person I saw the day the not guilty verdict was handed down.

Good take on the topic.

Tomás Serrano said...

This is a great work. I like specially the body, the suit and the hand. The position... Very good.

Michael G. O’Connell said...

thank you all for visiting… and listening to my rant…

hopefully i will be climbing out from under this huge pile of work real soon…

get zapped said...

You said it! In words and imagery. Powerful illo! I hear your cries and agree. Life is short and we must embrace the gift that it is and learn to appreciate the very simple things. Thank you for this powerful post.

isay said...

What great post and a beautiful and really powerful illustration. i like it and looked at it for a long time.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Hey Michael, this is so cool! I had this face along with my husband and daughter last week. We all had a visit from the nasty stomach virus monster. It wasn't pretty. This is such a cool illustration! Great work as usual. You never disappoint!

yoon see said...

Beautiful and creative idea!
I just love it:)

valerie walsh said...

Your illo is so well done and great looking too Mickael! Insightful illo and post, Great work :)

Carmen Saldaña said...

I agree with you, the world is sick but I hope that is not dying...:-(
About the illo, very nice drawing, I like it so much :-)

Anonymous said...

Love your illustration for pale. I'm upset that those from Wall Street who were bailed out are now abusing the money given to them by building fancy offices, and being treated at the spa for their str-essss. It just makes me so burning mad.

Michael G. O’Connell said...

thank you all for your posts… i know that with so many people who care… this place we call home will be healthy and happy once again…

and katie… washington and wall street both start with W… i understand your frustration and anger… we really should have cut all those fat cat salaries as a contingency to receive our money… where is all the cash they pocketed with the times where inflationally great?